Friday, September 23, 2005

Belated

Well, I missed my own blogiversary (September 13). How lame is that? Well, a year after I woke up one morning and thought, holy god, I am fat and it’s time to do something about it, I find myself thirty-ish pounds down and some days so committed I don’t even recognise myself. Other days, I recognise myself all too well.

Since the lockout began 40 days ago, I haven’t had any routine to speak of. In some ways, that’s been amazing. Not getting a paycheque is a little less amazing, but I’m freelancing like crazy, picking up odd jobs here and there and generally getting by. Taco’s work has really picked up as well, so we’ve been just fine, financially. Being mostly liberated from sitting at a desk 40 hours a week has meant that I’m burning more calories every day just being me. Whether that’s walking the picket line or standing for four hours a day in the guild office answering phones and whatnot, or just puttering around at home. It has been…well, it’s been great. Even though I haven’t tracked my food in, oh, 40 days, and even though planned exercise has been mostly hit and miss for, you know, the same 40 days, I’m still down a handful of pounds since mid-August.

I have to say, my body really likes not being chained to a desk. And my mind does too. I have about ten good ideas a day, which is up from my usual ten a year. It’s looking like this whole stupid thing will be resolved in a week or two, and I have to say I have mixed feelings about that. The good thing about having been locked out is that it’s given me a chance to imagine a different life for myself, work-wise. The bad thing, of course, is that I’ve poured my heart and soul into that place for three years, any my colleagues have logged plenty more time than that, and it’s really, really depressing to have the doors shut on you when you care so much about the future of public broadcasting.

However, this blog isn’t about that.

It’s about fat. Of which I still have plenty left.

I went to the gym last night for the first time since the beginning of the summer. The weather has taken a definitive autumnal turn, and it gets dark around 7:30 now, so my usual hour-long walk was out. Plus, my schedule has been so wacked lately that carving out a whole hour for myself seems pretty impossible. I’m sure it isn’t actually impossible. But it sure does seem that way. So I was sitting on the couch post-supper, pre-picking up Taco from work, and I thought, you know, if I hustle, I can get in 30 minutes at the gym.

And my next thought was, no, I really should do 60, but I don’t have time, so I won’t bother.

Oh for chrissakes. You’d think I’d learned nothing over the past year and ten days.

But indeed, I have learned something. I’ve learned that perfection is not necessary, but effort is. And that ultimately, effort is much more valuable than perfection. So I strapped on my sneaks and headed out the door, and got in some good time on the elliptical and the treadmill, came home sweaty and happy and determined to really get back on track.

Because I’d love it if my wedding dress could be somewhat smaller than size 16.

I’ve got about a year, and a bunch of new skills and attitudes. Plus, of course, my personal trainer, M&C. Keep your hands and feet inside the car at all times, kids, here we go!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve learned that perfection is not necessary, but effort is. And that ultimately, effort is much more valuable than perfection.

I should have that tattooed on my body, printed on a t-shirt and painted on my walls. Before I get around to all of that, though, I'm printing it off and tacking it to my wall at work and putting up another copy at home.

Glad you're still out there.

j

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kerri said...

I’ve learned that perfection is not necessary, but effort is. And that ultimately, effort is much more valuable than perfection.

Sweet mother of all things holy, have truer words ever been written? I THINK NOT. My inner unperfectionist is falling in love with you and kicking my perfectionist ass all at the same time.

GREAT POST!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary!

perfection is not necessary, but effort is.

Great line.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home