Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Walking, wounded

That’s me. In a fit of white-wine-and-impending-wedding-of-friends-induced glee the other night, I took what could kindly be described as a flying leap off the bottom step of said friends’ porch and landed…badly. The kind of landing in which you twist your ankle and end up in a crumpled heap. The kind in which, so forcefully do you fall, snow is propelled up your sleeves. The kind of landing that has you whimpering with pain all the way home in the cab.

So that’s me then. I’ve been hobbling around Winnipeg with an ankle that just won’t bend, after having bent entirely the wrong way the other night. Add to that the cold that seems to be rampaging its way around the internet. Oh, wait, and add to that the ear-plugging that happened as a result of 1) said cold and 2) bad decompression on the flight from Toronto to Winnipeg.

To recap: I am limpy, snotty and deaf in one ear. And so, I am decidedly not working out this week.

This pains me, truly it does (possibly not as much as said combination pains Taco, in an entirely different way). I was a paragon of exercise virtue on the weekend, diligently using the treadmill at the Ancestral Palace and performing my wee strength workout. Couldn’t do much cardio though, as it kind of hurt my chest. The strength workout seemed to help loosen stuff up in there, which boded well for the week ahead. But then, Winnipeg, wine and wedding, and well, you know the rest.

Speaking of rest, that’s what I’m doing this week. Just resting. I walked to work today (about 25 minutes, I think) and walked again at lunch for about the same. Taco and I are staying with friends till Friday afternoon, when we move to a fancy hotel for two nights. Fancy Hotel has a gym. If I can tear myself away from Fancy Hotel’s well appointed bed and lush bathrobe, I will investigate and probably even use its gym. And then, of course, there will be dancing at the wedding on Saturday, and then road hockey in Toronto on Sunday.

So the week is not a complete write-off. So long as the twisted ankle doesn’t interfere with my plans to wear my nice new big-girl shoes to the wedding.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerri said...

Ouch! Well, at least you were doing something fun when it happened. And, congrats on the Size 16 Shopping Adventure! Outstanding. I can't wait to do the same thing. Take it easy.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home