Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Your command, my wish, as it turns out

So there I am, surfing over to Body of Work, as is my pretty-much-daily habit these days, because I am addicted to the writing of Anne. And there, on the front page at Elastic Waist is a little yoo-hoo to yours truly.

Funny, that. I was just thinking, as I waited a microsecond for the page to load, it's time to head over to Mighty Mighty, blow the dust off, see if anyone's still around. Heh.

I mean, here's the kind of day it's been: Late to bed, early to crank off the alarm, reluctantly up, 40-minute walk. Come home, make breakfast, absent-mindedly undercook Taco's boiled eggs by five minutes, yecch. Drive him to his music workshop, come home, pack lunch, ride bike to work, workity work work work all day, race home on bike, make healthy supper with husbandly help, dash off to writers' group meeting, come home, begin to think about blogging, suddenly cat sits up, coughs in a horrifying portentous way and pukes in the wicker chair. Minutes later, husband frantically demanding towels and terrible burnt sugar smell fills house as home-made beer boils over and courses down stove and across kitchen floor like horrible, inevitable lava. Sacrifice old but still good (well, not any more) bath towel and two tea towels to the cause, retreat from kitchen, sticky-footed and sighing.

And I hate to tell you, but that's actually kind of a normal day.

All of which is to say that my main issue continues...which is that I am a creature of habit, which is great when my habits are good and my routine can continue unmarred. But the last year...has been a trial, frankly. So much good stuff...the renovation stopped the house from sliding into the backyard. Marrying Taco was the smartest thing I've ever done. Seeing my novel actually get published was pretty frigging awesome also. The new job, and then the other new job, have also rocked. And the French lessons, don't forget those. It's all great and positive stuff.

But it railroaded my routine. First to go was exercise, quickly followed by healthful eating.

I am making overtures to my old healthy habits, trying to win them back. Setting small goals...daily walks. Two litres of water. Three pilates or yoga sessions a week. Two days in, I'm hitting it out of the park on walks, am batting about five hundred on the water, and am considering a pinch hitter for the yoga/pilates...whoa, my metaphor fell apart. I mean, I'm planning for those sessions over the next five days.

Meanwhile, I am diligently packing a lunch and eating healthful snacks.

Right now, it feels like all I can do. So I do it. And we'll see, you know? We'll just see.

1 Comments:

Blogger canknitian said...

Hey Steph -- Nice to see you! I've been reading Anne all along but am just now starting to feel like putting something up over at road to ambition again. Hope to, anyway. Hope all is well with you.

big hug,
j

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home